refuse layer feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenChaser34432, Dec 17, 2011.

1. ChickenChaser34432

ChickenChaser34432 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    At Liberty Farm
    We mix layer crumbles and scratch grains 2:1. & they pick out scratch leaving layer behind. I tried pellets also with no success, same thing. All birds are free range from 6 a.m. til they decide to go in. They forage as they please on 2 acres. As it is cooling off and fewer bugs to eat, i would expect them to want the protien in layer?¿ Any thoughts? btw we are in central florida.

2. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Quote:I'm right there with ya. Mine are picky eaters, too.

Ours roam the backyard just about all day, every day. I've noticed that mine don't like popcorn/corn. Mine even stayed cooped up for a couple days and still wouldn't eat the kernels or corn.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Chickens are instinctive creatures, and picking through feed is one of those instincts.

If you mix feed, expect this behavior. Many times they'll beak out or beak away what they don't prefer. If you scatter on the ground, they'll also pick and choose. This why the term "pick" is common usage for "choose".

I prefer to fill a feed with only pellets, or only crumbles, for this reason.

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Mine did this as well when I first offered pellets.Now they eat it all.Finish off with the crumbles and just give the pellets.They WILL eat it. In the winter I like to give either in a bowl with some hot water mixed in.

My chickens did the same with scratch and BOSS but they eat both now.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    feed them only layer feed pellets-no mixing and let them free range. If they are hungry they will eat what you give them..the rest you can give them for treats at the end of the day..scratch is not a food..it's like chicken crack [​IMG]

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    If you have a feed that is meant to be cut with scratch (20-22%) and you want to feed scratch, make sure to offer it in a separate feeder so they don't pick out the grain & waste the feed. They will eat both according to their needs.

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Scratch is candy so yes, if you try to mix the two, they will kick out the sensible food in favor of the candy. Try feeding just the pellets and throw them a handful of scratch once a day into their yard so they can scratch around for it.

8. ruffles

ruffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    If I go heavy on the scratch , the shells are not as firm. AS, theywill eat more scratch and not pellets and oyster shells.

My chickens are not free range, they would last probably one day, they are fenced in, each section is about 50 feet of kennel space.

9. ChickenChaser34432

ChickenChaser34432 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    At Liberty Farm
    [​IMG] Ummm what is BOSS?

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:black oil sunflower seeds:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by