Regaining Chick's Trust

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coloradowildflower, Mar 21, 2011.

1. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    Hi all, my chicks have made it through the first week and all are happy and healthy. However, the one little chick that had pasty butt the worst, whom I had to clean up several times, doesn't want anything to do with us humans anymore. I used the sitz bath method and was as gentle and kind as I could be. She even seemed to sort of appreciate it, being quiet and much happier after she was clean, but that's the only thing I've done different with her, so I assume she's wary of humans because of that. Everyone else will eat from my hand, loves being held, hops onto my hand when I put it into the brooder. But Cadbury the Cuckoo Marans just goes over to the farthest corner and stays away from the fun.

Any suggestions on how I can regain her affection?

(edited to add a little more info.)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't worry too much. Some chicks are less people oriented that others. Sort of like introverts and extroverts in people.

Plus their personalities change so much as they grow. I didn't really bond with any of my girls until they were a couple of months old and some of the ones who were friendly as chicks became stand offish when they matured.

So I guess just patience and treats are the best way to win over any chick or chicken. Don't pursue her, let her come to you.

Really have patience, everything will change once they hit puberty. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by