1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

regarding a breed of hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cajunlizz, Jul 5, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I have a Hen that made her home at my house about 5 months ago . Noticed she was laying underneath one of our trees . She is really a small hen and I figured she was a bantam .

Friend of DH's came by today and told me she is a GAME HEN .

Anybody farmiliar with this breed ? Anybody have pictures so I can see if this is indeed what I have ?

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Game is a very broad term for chickens bred for fighting. Some are still used for that purpose but others are bred for exibition now.

Their appearance varies widely they can come in just about every color and size imaginable from tiny Dutch and Old English Bantams to big Aseels and Malay.

From your description and the popularity of the breed you probably have an Old English Game Bantam. You can see them here:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/GameBantams/BRKOEGBantams.html

Also check out some of the other breeds on that site it's amazing! [​IMG]

3. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Thanks for the info. You might be right . Really short legs , goldish brown color , real fantail , BUT a temper that could KILL a COW .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by