Regarding candling...?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by huntsman, Sep 27, 2010.

1. huntsman

huntsman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    South Africa
    I've just been researching candling eggs and have some questions...

Does one candle all eggs, including those with a brood hen?

Are eggs candled only once, or several times? I'm guessing the latter if the first check wasn't conclusive?

Thank you for the input. [​IMG]

2. CindyG

CindyG Chillin' With My Peeps

SOME people (ahem ahem) like to candle a lot just to see that there is a little chickie actually developing. It never gets old. Seriously, I've seen all sorts of advice, only once at 7 days, never during lockdown, etc etc. I figure it can't hurt to take a look whenever you feel you need to. I don't actually candle during lockdown, but that's the only restriction I put on myself.

3. huntsman

Jan 8, 2010
    South Africa
    Thanks, Cindy -

Ahem....what's lockdown? [​IMG]

I'm guessing a period close to hatching, perhaps? [​IMG]

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You candle eggs when you want to know what's inside them. Sometimes that's because you are trying to hatch babies or sometimes it's because you want to sell eggs that have no flaws (like meat spots).

5. yelim

yelim Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Plant City, Florida
    Can blood spots be seen in brown eggs by candling?

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Brown eggs are harder to candle, and frequently blood and meat spots are missed. Meat spots are easier to see because they are a compact mass, whereas blood spots are more diffused thus difficult to spot during candling.

7. CindyG

Yeah, lockdown is the last three days before the anxiously awaited hatch date, where you don't touch them, no turning, no candling. Just keep the temp and humidity constant. I'm approaching that now with six Serama eggs from my own birds, and will be hovering over the bator trying to hear peeping or see pipping. I look like a loonie! Lots of fun though.

8. CindyG

Hey, Huntsman, I just noticed you're from SA, whereabouts? We lived in Jo'burg for three years while my husband was working there. Loved it!! You must be heading into summer now, are the jacarandas blooming yet. Oh, I miss it! [​IMG]

9. huntsman

Jan 8, 2010
    South Africa
    Thanks for the replies, folks!

Cindy -

I'm in Edenvale, close to JHB airport, and Summer has definitely arrived! [​IMG]

Jacarandas normally bloom first week in November, which is beautiful as you obviously know, though my lone jac tree is but a 'pullet'!! [​IMG]

You guys were based in Dainfern, I guess? If so, I have a lil' gift shop over the road in the Broadacres Centre...

10. CindyG

Hi Huntsman, we were right in the heart of Jo'burg, in Craighall. I remember the trees meeting over the streets, with that lovely purple hazy bloom. Beautiful. What kind of chickens do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by