regarding 'double-yolkers'....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by critters, Oct 22, 2011.

1. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

are these just random or is there something special about the hen?
    just wondering?? [​IMG]

I know, it's probably a stupid question but ????.... I'll never know unless I ask!

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Can be random, sometimes it is from pullets just getting the egg factory fine tuned. Enjoy the eggs!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've heard of hens that lay them regularly, but in my experience, it's totally random and rare.

the only hens I've had that have laid double yolkers were RIRs and Cinnamon Queens.

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    This question has been asked many times on BYC. The popular answer....... It seems to be a random thing for the most part. Pullets who have not worked out all of the kinks in their reproductive systems seem to lay double yolkers more often that other birds.

My experience.....There used to be a man who supplied eggs to a small family owned store here. My grandfather would only by his eggs because they were all double yolkers. He insisted he had a secret feed formula that caused it. I bought his eggs when I grew up too. Every big, brown egg had two yolks. The man eventually died and so did the double yolkers. I would love to know his secret.

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

When I was a kid we bought our eggs from a large, factory egg farm. I think they were cheaper and we must have gotten the one's not fit for resale at the grocery store. We used to get lots of double yokes. I thought those were the greatest!

6. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    One of our RIR mixes lays a double yolker every other day. She only started laying in May, so I don't know if she's still working it out or what. I feed them all organic layer feed, plus yogurt, greens, fruit, and whatever else I can think of. The other RIR has never laid a double yolker though, so these findings are by no means conclusive!

7. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    our cochin layed a triple yoker that thing was HUGE!!!

8. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My guess from reading here is, many or most hens lay them once in a while, and a few lay them often. I have real doubts that any sort of food or supplement would change this. Of course I'd love to know what it is, if this is true.

9. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:That makes two of us. All I am sure of is that this store (and later one other store) sold flats of double yolkers for at least 20 years. I don't remember ever finding a single yolked egg in them.

10. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Double yolks are caused by a 'mistake' in the girl's egg production. All that happens is that when the ovum (starts out gray) drops down, becoming a yellow yolk, sometimes a 'mistake' happens and two drop down. This is more common in younger hens/pullets and in hens known for high yields. Normally it will slow down as they mature.

It can happen regularly in some hens. In fact I heard that some Amish folk in Missouri actually breed their hens to lay double yolkers. It is possible to do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by