Regarding homemade jams/jellies/perserves etc.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Frozen Feathers, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Can I sell my homemade food goods? Is this legal?? I've tried to find an answer on Google, but it seems the Maine website is down. [​IMG]

I am going to be overloaded with Raspberry jam, and figured I might sell some to offset the cost of the jars/sugar and pectin. The raspberries were free..lucky us [​IMG] but it did take time to pick them.

If I can, I'm going to bring some to Maine Chickenstock. [​IMG]

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I know that in Wisconsin, there are a few guidelines. I can't think of them off the top of my head, but I believe one is that you can't sell anything using a water bath canner, it all has to be done with a pressure canner.

3. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    If you're willing to ship I'll order a jar! DH loves raspberries!

If you charge me a little extra for shipping & handling and not the actual product you're only bending the law vs. breaking it.....right? [​IMG]

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] PLEASE PLEASE I need some. I willl pay whatever you want and the mailing adress is in Maine. Albion. Probably pretty close to you. PM me!

5. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    OH ME TOO!!! Just let us know your price

I'm guessing you are using pint jars.... if so, 4-5 jars would fit in a flat rate priority mail box for shipping right at $9.

6. firem3

firem3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    I'd be willing to trade you some good ole bama black berry jelly for your raspberry we dont get any raspberrys down here. [​IMG]

7. firem3

firem3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    also i have never even had raspberry anything what does it taste like?

8. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Wow I didn't realize there would actually be a demand for raspberry jam. [​IMG]

I don't have that much...lol.

firem3 a raspberry taste like a raspberry. [​IMG] Close to a blackberry, but more tart...hard to describe.

PS I would like to find out the laws before I start selling anything. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  9. If you sell a couple fine. But as a business, well, better have insurance, a company name etc. There is a fine line between the two, especially if someone gets sick and sues. Have fun!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  10. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Better safe than sorry. Check with the local Health Department. THey have all the rules for that sort of thing.

I can pretty much bet that in order to sell something like that you'll have to...

1. Be in a comercial kitchen that is inspected. (You can rent one for a few hours at a time from a caterer etc...)
    2. Be a certified food handler. (usually a two hour course, followed by a 25 question test mine cost $25.00)
    3. Have a business lisence and or business tax certificate.
    4. A lable listing all ingredients, your name, business name and contact information.
    There may be loopholes in these things by selling at the local farmer's market or swap meet, but I don't know.

If you keep your kitchen, pots 'n pans etc, absolutely sterile and only do a few jars here and there, you should stay under the radar. The don't really care about super small numbers. they DO care about mass producing selling 110 jars a week, that sort of thing...

I don't know about the mail order thing. I'm a personal chef, I don't do that.

Even if you don't sell food, I recommend EVERYONE go to a food handler's certification course. It has valuable information about the dangers of cross contamination, food borne illness, etc... that EVERYONE should know about even in their own kitchen.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by