? regarding letting eggs sit

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stahlt12345, Mar 13, 2013.

1. stahlt12345

stahlt12345 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Michigan
    I noticed on ebay two different people selling hatching eggs said to leg the eggs sit on the counter 6 hours and 24 hours before putting them in the incubator. Can you tell me why this is? Is it to bring them to room temperature?

2. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    Shipped eggs go through a lot on their journey to their new home. A lot of the time, the air sacs will get jumbled around, as well as the rest of the contents of the eggs. By letting them sit still for a while, it gives the eggs (especially the air sacs) a rest, so to speak.

It's also a very good idea to candle the eggs before you set them to see how the air sacs look. If you see some that are wiggling around when you move the egg, you need to make a note of which eggs those are, and take special care when turning them, making sure that the big end stays more elevated so that the air sac has a chance to re-attach itself.

Usually with shipped eggs I let them sit until I go to bed, pop them in the incubator, and leave the turner off (or don't turn them) until I go to bed the next night. But it is to each their own, and with everything, you will get conflicting opinions. Incubating is an experiment, and until you go through trial and error, you will have to figure out what method works best for you. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. stahlt12345

stahlt12345 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Michigan
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by