Regarding molting....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nikki28, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    I know that chickens usually molt around 18 months If I get girls that are a few months (4-5) younger than my current red stars would my red stars molting cause them to molt also or is it individual specific?

2. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    It usually happens in seasons. Losing their old feathers makes leeway for new feathers to grow in. It is not contagious, all birdies get it!!

Frsh eggs

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's often a combo of age, enviornment, and genetics. Not to worry, it's normal.

4. Nikki28

Dec 15, 2008
    Oops I wasnt clear at all. Would it happen at the same time as the red stars.
    I know that egg production stops when they molt so would the younger hens continue to lay when my girls are not and then molt at a later time....does that make sense? I've had ALOT of caffine sorry.

-basically I want to keep getting eggs all year so would a 4 -5 month age difference be too close and cause the younger ones to molt at the same time or does it not work that way.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  5. Nikki28

Dec 15, 2008
    Also out of your own experience how much does egg production slow down after a molt?

6. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    It is very induvigual!!!!!![ sorry for spelling blurps, I am bad with big words, it hurts may head!!!![​IMG]] Dont worry if ur stars molt, the other chicks will molt when they are ready!!

7. Nikki28

Dec 15, 2008
    Quote:Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by