1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Regarding Oats...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MoodyChicken, May 14, 2009.

1. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    I would like to start adding whole oats to my birds' feed. I've read that the oats help prevent purple feathering in black birds. But how much should I add? I have two 150 lb barrels and one 100 lb barrel... how much should I add to each?

2. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    I've always fed up to1/3 oats, Anything more and they lose weight,,The purple barring in black feathers has more to do with breeding than what they are being fed, Same goes for brassiness in white feathers........

3. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Thanks! Yeah, for the most part my birds are green but they tend to get a little purple if they eat too much cracked corn. I was told the oats neutralizes the corn. Plus my birds are getting bloody fat so the oats will help with that! lol

4. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    Oldtimers say oats help prevent feather picking too.
    I'm not sure if it's actually true or not.

Anyways, 15% of our hens ration is whole oats, with the remainder
    being Layer crumbles.

spot

5. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    I'd believe it. Oats are fiber. If birds are filling up on fiber they need to find and eat more protein. So they're spending more time eating and less time picking at each other.

15% sounds like a good amount for my flock. They really like the oats, but they have such a fast metabolism. I think any more and their weight would suffer. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by