Regarding quarantine coop size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pollo curioso, Jul 18, 2011.

1. pollo curioso

pollo curioso In the Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Hello all. First time posting after a lot of forum research. What a great data base of knowledge!

I have a couple questions on introducing new hens to my flock (of 2) and the spacial requirements for a quarantine coop.

I'm aware of the 30 day quarantine process but I'm curious as to how big a quarantine coop for 4 hens needs to be. For future quarantine issues, I already have a coop built that has a 4'X4' run with a roosting/nesting enclosure of 2'X4' attached.

My question is this: can they get by in this confined space for 30 days? I'm aware that this isn't ideal- just want to make sure putting them in there for 30 days wouldn't be inhumane.

My other question is this- the dominant of the two hens we already have has been broody for a couple of weeks. In the event that she is still broody in a month when we begin to introduce the new hens, what might I expect with her behavior?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

2. pollo curioso

Jul 18, 2011
    ...anyone..?

3. ECBW

ECBW Songster

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Well, this is probably not what you are looking for... My fellow chicken keepers and I never quarantine more than a couple of days.

If you are going to quarantine for 30 days, it might be ok. My 4 birds lived in a 4x2.75 coop with 6x6 run for 6 months.

4. pollo curioso

Jul 18, 2011
    Thanks- exactly what I was looking for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by