1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Regarding the Actual Hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickyBangBang, Sep 21, 2012.

1. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Hi,

I read on the board here that you're not supposed to remove chicks from their incubator until they are completely dry. My question is...isn't that disturbing to the chicks that haven't hatched yet? I saw a video on youtube of a chick hatching and he was beating the heck out of the eggs around him. Not purposely pecking at them, but I mean, he was kicking the snot out of them as he moved around the incubator all wobbly and sporadic. I realize the sporadic movement and wobbles is normal for a newborn chick - but it seems (to me) that beating up the eggs around them as they're being hatched and after -can't be a good thing for the other chicks? I mean...this chicken's feet were kicking like horse and the other eggs were shooting across the incubator and slamming into the sides of it like a pinball machine.

...even though I'm brand new to all of this, I don't know if anyone can say something that will convince me that this is okay? lol! There was another video of a chick hatched, who was laying right on top of a pipped and zipped egg. Surely the weight of the chick isn't going to allow for the other one to come out unscathed if come out at all?

Maybe I am thinking too much about this. o_O

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Yes, it is like a rugby scrum in there at times. Everyone seems to make it through ok, and some folks feel that the movement stimulates the later chicks to pip. you can use cut-down egg cartons to hold the eggs during the hatch.

3. GAQuail

GAQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    Bishop, Georgia
    I use the cut down egg cartons to eliminate incubator rugby. That being said it seems most chicks hatch regardless of being kicked around.

4. ChickyBangBang

Sep 18, 2012
    Ohhh I didn't think of the egg carton (the incubator we got is one where you just lay the eggs in there). I will definitely do this when it comes close to hatching time!! :) Thank you - great advice.

Another question I had is regarding Sand. I was told by a friend who raises (some) chickens that I should put a small tray of sand inside the brooder in case the chicks want to start preening themselves prior to being introduced to the coop. I didn't want to sound like a complete idiot to my friend, so I'm asking here (since you all are strangers so far) lol!!

What kind of sand do chickens need? It may seem like a silly question but you wouldn't believe the answers I got when I called our local supply stores and feed stores for sand!

Beach sand?
    All-purpose sand?
    Course sand?
    Fine sand?

LOL! Thanks :D

5. ChickyBangBang

Sep 18, 2012
    What happens if the chicks hatch during the night when I'm fast asleep??

How long can a baby chick stay in an incubator before they get sick? :( Do I set my alarm for every three hours once there is a pip in an egg or do I just leave them alone and live normally and monitor the temp/humidity levels throughout the day (and turn them)?

ugh this is stressing me out and I don't even have the eggs yet!!

6. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    You don't need to get up at night to check on them. They will do just fine on their own.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I've incubated eggs both with and without egg cartons - it works either way. The cartons do eliminate the incubator rugby, but it doesn't stop the hatched chicks from climbing all over the unhatched ones. I've never put sand in the brooder. They don't need it. You don't need to get up in the night. I've left chicks in the incubator for as many as 12 hours. They won't get sick. The warmth is good for them. They absorb their yolk sacs before hatching, and can go up to 72 hours before needing food. You want to stop turning the eggs and try not to open the incubator approximately 3 days before they're due to hatch. LEAVE THEM ALONE after that. Don't try to "help" once they've pipped. It's hard to watch them struggle, but they need to do it. If they don't hatch, there's usually a reason for it - i.e. too weak to survive, possibly deformed. When taking chicks out of the incubator, do it as quickly as possible as to not let out much heat and humidity. Don't stress about it. Especially if you don't have eggs yet! [​IMG] Really, it's not rocket science, and you don't need to overthink it. When you incubate eggs, some will hatch, some won't. Such is life. Enjoy the ones that do, dispose of the ones that don't, and don't beat yourself up over it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by