Registered/Papered Chickens?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HenChezFarm, Oct 10, 2011.

1. HenChezFarm

HenChezFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    British Columbia, Canada
    Does anyone know about the regulations & laws about importing chickens from the US into Canada? Do they need papering to get across the border?
    I'm looking into the prospect of purchasing some stock (hence my becoming a member here! [​IMG] ), but I'm not sure as to how much it would cost to get them from there to here and make them Canadian Citizens... can anyone fill me in?

2. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    There might be an import fee that may be more than you are willing to pay, also a quarantine period. Can you not buy stock in Canada? Sorry I'm not more help.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Yes there is papers. I remember reading on one of the hatchery websites that said they couldn't ship to Canada but could ship to a bordering town an supply the papers for you to take them across.

Should not be an import tax, NAFTA took care of that.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  4. HenChezFarm

HenChezFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    British Columbia, Canada
    I am hoping to get ahold of some Tolbunt Polish. They are very few and far between here in Canada, and I've yet to come across a breeder who is willing to part with any. I'm thinking that my best option would be to pay the extra and just come across the border to find some. Maybe I'll just close my eyes when I pay for the Health Papers at the border crossing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by