registering goat questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kikiyo, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Kikiyo

Kikiyo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Washington
    can someone give give me some info on registering a goat please [​IMG] why and what it takes? where to register etc. Thanks a bunch !

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Well the first ??? is if the parents are registered...and if they are the seller should of given you a paper so you can get a herd name and register the goat. Thats what I did when I got my registered goats and you can contact www.americangoatsociety.com or www.agda.org they have their ph#'s there and they can help you through it. Good luck

3. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    I would assume it depends on what registries. I don't really know on meat goats, although I think they can be registered on apperance like dairy goats (that would make them recorded grades, and their kids (only doe kids I think) would be %50, and get closer w/ each generation (assuming your breeding to registered bucks), w/ dairy goats eventually you will have kids that can be registered american. (atleast this is what I understand, I have a few full sized dairy goats, but mostly nigerian dwarfs which have different rules).

With nigerians (and I think pygmies) both parents have to be registered. There are three registeries for Nigi's ADGA, NDGA, and AGS. Some registries will accept goats already registered in a different association, making them double or even triple registered, I think both NDGA and ADGA will accept goats registered w/ AGS, but I don't think AGS will take goats registered only NDGA (not sure on ADGA). I have goats that are single, double, and triple registered, I get lazy sometimes, but I make sure everyone is atleast AGS registered.

Now there are also the mini dairy breeds (mini nubian, mini alpine, etc.) and I have no clue about their registries.

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    There are two experimental mini dairy registries. First one that comes to mind is MDGA...the other one escapes me. Both parents have to be registered though.

If you breed minis...the NMGA still has an open foundation book. They must meet height & cannon requirements, though.

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Quote:Do you enjoy dealing with AGS more than ADGA, or is it just mroe of the same? I've had some issues with ADGA clerical skills in the past.

6. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    Yes, I've definately been more happy w/ AGS, ADGA is my least favorite.

7. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Havent had any problems with either but its getting time to add and dont want any problems. AGS is my preference but ADGA wasnt a real problem either. Some I have talked to have .

8. Kikiyo

Kikiyo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Washington
    Thank you [​IMG] everyone!

9. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    I raise Nigerian Dwarf goats and am only registered/member through AGS.. they seem to be the most "all around" and am very pleased with there services-not to mention very timely in getting papers back!!!

10. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Quote:It's taken the ADGA more than two months to get one goat transferred to my name. I foresee a change in registry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by