1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Regrowth of Feathers lost before close of normal molt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by centrarchid, Nov 9, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Recently a rooster I use for display at field days got stupid and got into a dogs mouth. Dog clamped down a couple times pulling some feathers, caused some deep bruising and perforated a lung. Bird is coming around on all damages excepting for feather loss. At time of attack most of the major flight feathers were no longer green although sicle and body feathers were still coming in. One of his tail feathers that was lost earlier in molt while green is in the process of being replaced. If I pull the damaged feathers that remain, will he regrow them or will I have to wait until next fall for damaged feathers to be replaced?

Images below show bird in question.

Last year as cockerel.

[​IMG]

Just before attack.
    [​IMG]

Two days after attack.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If the feather is pulled all the way out, it will be replaced. If it is just damaged or if upon pulling out a feather some of the shaft or root remains, you'll have to wait till next moult.

If it's a lot of feathers you still need to pull... I might let him rest and be ugly from the attack. Pinfeathers are rather sensitive and even adult feathers are pretty well innervated near their roots.

3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I was able to collect most of the pulled feathers. It appears entire shaft came free on most I picked up. I will look closely to see if any shafts remain. In respect to muscle and bone, he appears to be fine. Luckily he tolerates my messing with him although I will be pushing buttons if feather stubs need to be pulled.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Good luck!

Chickens are good at hiding their "emotions", but when my cockatiel was flying and bumped his head on the ceiling resulting in lost feathers pulled out to the base, those all grew back in a week or two. But boy, he did not enjoy his head rubs the same way and was very grumpy if you touched the pinfeathers wrong. He has NO hesitation in sharing how he feels about something! LOL

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Eduardo (rooster) clearly voiced his unhappiness as I dug around his tail. He made the whiney growl that means to me, get out of my space. He is exceptionally easy to handle but does have limits to what he thinks is fun or tolerable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by