Regular sized rooster + Bantam hens?

BlackIce

Songster
Mar 29, 2018
Sadly this afternoon, our bantam rooster put up a fight with a falcon but didn’t make it out. Thankfully he was the only one to be attacked. I was well looking forward to breeding him with the 3 bantam hens I have to hatch some mini chicks. Now, I have a RIR rooster that is NOT a bantam breed. I know that it is possible to successfully breed and hatch eggs between a bantam rooster and normal hens but I couldn’t find anything about the other way around. Can you breed a normal sized rooster with bantam hens and successfully hatch chicks? When you think about it, it doesn’t seem to be very possible but I wanted to double check. Thank you :)

Sorry for the loss of your little roo.
Unfortunately, standard roosters should and cannot not be bred with bantam hens as the roo can cause injury while mounting, and fertilization is not possible.

Unfortunately, standard roosters should and cannot not be bred with bantam hens as the roo can cause injury while mounting, and fertilization is not possible.

This is incorrect.

I have a standard roo, a Bielefelder, who successfully breeds with my Belgian D'Anver. I've seen him do it and checked the eggs fertility.

Good question! I was wondering the same also! I'm planning on ordering a Light Brahma male chick and was wondering if he could father any chicks with some of my bantam cochin silkie mixes. But i wasn't sure being Brahma roos are huge and my hens are so small. But I'm also gonna order female Brahmas and other larger breeds.

Good question! I was wondering the same also! I'm planning on ordering a Light Brahma male chick and was wondering if he could father any chicks with some of my bantam cochin silkie mixes. But i wasn't sure being Brahma roos are huge and my hens are so small. But I'm also gonna order female Brahmas and other larger breeds.

Cochins can have issues with breeding even amongst their own. Try trimming the feathers around the Silkie/Cochin mixes' vents to help :) I had a light Brahma roo, he was the best rooster before I got Bielefelders!

Would depend on the cockbird's technique.
Injury is possible, so you might need to keep an eye out and separate them if necessary.
Read about one LF 'mounting' a bantam, he never even stepped on her, fertilization was successful.

I believe this is inhumane as mounting can and usually does result in injuries.
Inhumane? I simply have to disagree, With proper observation you can breed bantams with standard sized cocks. I don't suggest keeping bantams and large fowl together but if you wanted to put a rooster in with your bantam hens just long enough for them to be fertilized I believe you can do so without any serious damage done to your hens..

Inhumane? I simply have to disagree, With proper observation you can breed bantams with standard sized cocks. I don't suggest keeping bantams and large fowl together but if you wanted to put a rooster in with your bantam hens just long enough for them to be fertilized I believe you can do so without any serious damage done to your hens..

It all depends on what breeds. Breeding sebright hens with J.J roos can cause serious damage, and there's no arguing about that. I do agree though that some breeds may be crossed with bantams.

Well, I'm here to tell you my full sized wyndot rooster mated with my mini speckled bantum and she has two pretty 1 month old chick's and my mini silver laced also hatched a baby. I only have one rooster.

Back
Top Bottom