Regulating the Humidity.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gofasterstripe, Dec 18, 2010.

1. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a new Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco the other day, have turned it on to regulate it and for the life of me I can NOT get the humidity to regulate. Temp, is fine, used cold water, filled up 1 channel, left for 5 hours, couldnt get above 34%. Emptied water to add hot water half way up channel, it scooted up to like 72%, went to bed, got up its at 33% the past 2 mornings. I have read threat on top of thread, and keep seeing, ...Throw the book away. so book got put away and im still filling, emptying, filling. What am I cdoing wrong...me, I just want to hatch out half a dozen ducks!!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Morning Nicky!

You might be messing with it too much. Give it 24 hours to stabilize, without opening it, see how that goes. Also, make sure it isn't right under a heater vent. And.... is your hygrometer calibrated and does it have a fresh battery?

3. gofasterstripe

Good Morning...The longest I left it was 10 hours...still didnt get over 34%, not near vent, or window, Hygrometer is new with new battery and I cleared and did what it told me to do before using it. I have moved the vent up and down to try that too...still cant get over 34 unless I add hot water. I know once the water goes cold its going to drop again...what am I doing wrong. I have eggs sitting to go in but dont want to untill I can get used to this Humidity thing plus once I put in the eggs and spray them the humidity will go up...but how do I keep it regulated when the eggs are in... Im not worried with no eggs being in there but would adding the eggs regulate it with the spritzing

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I don't know what to tell you then, maybe ask Highlander? She has an R-com, which is closer to what you have, and hatched ducks not too long ago. I have one of the styrofoam incubators, so these high tech ones are a mystery to me.

5. gofasterstripe

Ok...just emptied water out again, got a face cloth ran hot water over it, out in 1/4 cup of hot water and put face cloth in the water and up under the basket. Its at 56% [​IMG]..now to see if I can hold it there.

6. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by