rehab for a caged chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicks-n-bees, Dec 21, 2012.

1. chicks-n-bees

chicks-n-bees Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2012
    Black Mountain, NC
    For Christmas my son is asking Santa for a white chicken. Well, finding one for sale around here this time of year was difficult and the only one that Santa's helpers could find was a while leghorn who spent her life in a cage. Her belly feathers are missing (presumably from sleeping on wire) and her tail feathers look rough. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help "Snowball" become a healthy happy bird? She is currently living in a huge appliance box in our basement (lights on in the morning and off at night) waiting to be brought into the living room under the tree on Christmas eve. Also, any suggestions on how to introduce her to our other two birds? I'm afraid that they will notice her missing feathers and pick on her. Thanks for helping.

2. ninjagirl

ninjagirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    I would spend as much time with her hand feeding dried mealworms but don't let your expections get too high as leghorns are pretty flighty. Higher protein will help the feathers come in quicker. Feed her scrambled eggs mixed with plain greek yogurt, a good quality cat food, etc. I would also bath/dust her to aid in external parasite removal (this could cause missing feathers). Also try adding some raw apple cider vinegar and a crushed garlic clove to her water. Definately quarantine her from your other birds to avoid accidentally infecting your other birds with anything she might be carrying. Best of luck to you and your son with her!

3. chicks-n-bees

chicks-n-bees Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2012
    Black Mountain, NC
    Quote: Thanks! What do you think I should bath her with and how long would she need to be quarantined? I believe that Santa is bringing a bag of mealworms for her and in the mean time I'll go cook up some eggs.

4. ninjagirl

ninjagirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    You're welcome, I have always just use an anti-allergen/oatmeal dog shampoo. But everyone has their own preference. Just don't get water in her ears. Quarantine at least 2 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by