Rehab for a hen indoors

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 19Chicks, Feb 9, 2013.

1. 19Chicks

19Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2012
    What should I avoid or use? What temperature should it be inside? In another post, I described an injured bird. I sprayed salt water and put vaseline on it. As we were cleaning her, we noticed that the wound was worse than we thought. It extends up towards the neck! Now, I would like it to stay inside for at least a day to heal. There is only a certain number of places I can put, so I will either put it in my room or my walk in closet. I sleep downstairs, so it typically does get cold, but we turn the fire on. I can turn a fan on if it gets too warm.
    Sorry if I seem all over the place. This is the first time I have ever put a chicken in rehab! The last time we had them indoors is when they were chicks!
    Any help/tips will be welcomed.

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    You could use almost anything to put an injured chicken in as long as there is ventilation. You could use an animal carrier, an animal cage, a cardboard box, a cage, etc. I would put a towel in that area and make her as comfortable as possible. The most comfortable temperature for her would most likely be around 72-75 degrees F.

3. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    I usually use a pet carrier but when I was a kid my dad brought home a wild magpie that was injured. We didn't have carriers back them and we put it in an upside down laundry basket with a big book on top to hold it down.

My chickens really aren't that picky, most are happy enough just being inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by