rehabilitating 3mo old chick?

NewChcikenmommy!

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Kingsland,Georgia
I don't know what else to do.
I hate the thought of sending it off to the feed store to be rehomed and can't find anyone to take it.
Still unsure if it is male/female but I know it hates me.
I am a dog groomer and work from home. I am thinking of taking one of my larger kennels and making a coop in my garage and spending a little more one on one time with this little devil.
I'm actually thinking of doing it for until it is old enough to lay.

Would it be safe at that point to reintroduce it back to the others? It keeps starting fights mainly with my EE which is the same age.
Any suggestions?? Good idea? Bad idea?
Any tips on keeping the chick indoors? Do you still let them free range?
thanks!

It really doesn't hate you; it's just being a chicken. Most chickens keep their distance from humans unless you spend a lot of time with them taming them -- and taming doesn't always work. You could do the kennel thing til it is as little older. Maybe let it out for a while then put it back before you let the others out. Usually you keep the young ones by themselves til they are about the same size as the others. Then it is a good idea to have them next to each other but so they can't get at each other for a while, like a few weeks. Another thing you can do is put her with another chicken who is laid back and not a bully or at the top of the pecking order. Or, put the young one with the flock but remove the bully or top hen for a week or so. Sometimes it works better to reintroduce when they are free range and being given a treat. Sometimes sneaking a new chicken onto the roost at night works.

There will be pecking even in an established flock. You can also just let them work it out, once the young one is full size, as long as no blood is drawn.

I got a group of chicks that were about 4 weeks old, one pecked me first thing, i named her rocky, she became a he, couldn;t get alog with anyone, had to be cooped up alone,tryed working with him, when I let him out, the others all turned on him and now he's living in the woods...he has buddied up with a younger flock and sneaks up to the coop to eat but only went inside once, then hasn't been back...I think he's happy, let's see what happens in spring.
The last time I saw him, I thought it was a falcon sitting on a half fallen tree....

Here is a pic I just took. I had to take it though my bedroom window, had I gone out there they would have all fluttered away. It keeps itself higher than the others and prances around when there are treats being given..little devil is up top on the table and the 5 others nesting in and out of the run..
005.JPG

Back
Top Bottom