rehabing an old, old coop

crunchynut

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
New England
I would really love to have a big new coop for our new chickens, but we're going to have to make do for now with the previous owners dilapidated old coop. It hasn't been used in a really long time and needs a decent amount of work, but my husband thinks it is still more cost effective to fix it up than build a new one. At least it will come together faster and it seems to have good bones.

Three walls are sturdy, the fourth walls needs to be torn down and replaced (that's the wall that has the human door and the chicken door). The roof is fine. The walls that aren't about to be falling down need a bit of work to make them draft proof, and of course the big hole in front that used to be a window needs to be outfitted with some hardware cloth and then something more solid for winter. The inside will need nest boxes and perches. Then I'll be prettying up the outside too.

Here are pics. Any tips/advice on what you'd alter/add if it were yours? It is approximately 11 feet by 10 feet.

1eb5g0.jpg

This is the side that will be completely replaced
2w3apeh.jpg

faouah.jpg

Last edited:
That should do nicely for you when you get it fixed up! The roof is installed wrong (needs crosswise nailers atop the rafters), but OTOH if it's held up this long without sagging or collapsing I suppose there is no need to "mess with success" so to speak.

It sounds like you pretty well have your work figured out; the only thing I'd add is that it seems to lack very much in the way of ventilation (only the rafter gaps atop the walls) so it would not be a bad idea if you could work in some more, location/type/amount depending on your climate. And unless there's already something buried that isn't obvious from the pics, it would be smart to add some form of digproofing (a 2+' wire apron all around the building, or whatever else you choose)

Good luck, have fun, looking forward to seeing "after" pics
smile.png

Pat

Back
Top Bottom