Rehomed hens and (maybe) rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Molnut, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Molnut

Molnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2015
    Port Angeles, WA
    Hello, I am a newbie with the light experience of keeping 3 hens for about 2 years. I have just moved and have now 5 acres. I cannot wait to have girls again.

I am considering adopting 4 hens and (or not) a rooster. They all come from a neglect/abusive situation and there is likely more to come. The hens are Australops, which is a breed I wanted. Some are in a bad shape with naked backs or heads. The rooster seems to be an Easter Egger. He seems in good enough shape with just some feather damage.

From what I gather, all were free ranging, which is fine as it is my intent too. When I saw them, they were all calm, probably shelled shocked.

I have a movable 4' x 8' coop with a movable 10'x12 enclosure and will purchase electric netting very soon so they can roam once adjusted.

My questions : Since I only have one coop and one enclosure, should I get the rooster as well? Or should I only take the hens so they can recover? I do feel bad about leaving the rooster at the shelter and he will be useful once the girls are roaming. However, I don't know his temper and the girls don't need anymore roughing up.

All of my animals (dogs, birds, etc) have been rescues. Once I adopt, I do not return the animal, or at least, I have been lucky to work out the quirks so we could keep them. I do not want to have to return the rooster, so I need your advice. How can I work this out? What can I expect from an Easter Egger rooster? I have zero experience with roosters.

Thank you.

2. Jchicken311

Jchicken311 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Texas
    That's a tough one, the rooster would be beneficial. If he is not nice though that would not be a good situation. [​IMG] Maybe you should just get the hens and wait until you find a rooster that you know has a good temper. You could eat him if he is mean but, I don't eat my chickens so I couldn't imagine doing that.[​IMG]

3. Jchicken311

Jchicken311 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Texas
    I don't have any EE's but I haven't had an aggressive rooster. I have had 3 but, they were all pretty tame[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by