Rehomed the Roos!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Whisper, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Whisper

Whisper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    Okay, I know, I sound way too cheerful, but I have a small 4x8 backyard coop, and I had 19 chickens in it . . . 11 of whom were roosters! I finally bit the bullet this week and posted an ad on Craigslist.

The result? I managed to rehome my alpha roo along with my last remaining mature hen, then another fellow took 8 of my young cockerels off my hands this afternoon. I went from 11 restless overcrowded roosters and 8 bullied hens down to 2 young bantam cockerels and 7 much more relaxed pullets.

Now I have room to buy the Leghorn pullets that I've been wanting, yay.

And blah, I am so not buying any more straight run chicks until I have a MUCH bigger place.

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    You don't sound too cheerful to me. You sound suitably thrilled. [​IMG]

I would be, too. I'm trying to rehome roosters myself, so I know the feeling.

Congrats!

3. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    You should be happy, sounds like you will enjoy going out to the coop again![​IMG]

4. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Congratulations! Enjoy the peace in the coop. I've rehomed roosters too, and it's not easy.

5. KingSpeck

KingSpeck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    We had to get rid of our one and only rooster and we are MUCH happier without him. He sure was beautiful, but with two small children it sure makes it easier to play in the back yard without him stalking us.

6. Whisper

Whisper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    Yes, it's made it fun to go near the henhouse again! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by