Rehoming 2 roosters and introducing 2 new hens 2 nights before we go away for a night?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MyFrancesca, Aug 15, 2013.

1. MyFrancesca

MyFrancesca Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    We (luckily) found a farm that wants our two 3 month old roosters. I was honsetly shocked. However, we live in city limits and can't have them here so they need a new place to live. I plan on replacing them with 2-3 silver lace wyandottes from a local farm. Since the roosters are being picked up tonight, do you think it would be a good idea to put the new wyandottes in at bedtime with them? We currently have 2 flocks, we have 5 assorted hens I bought at TSC which just started laying and then we have four 3 month old easter eggers, 2 of them are roosters. They roost together at night and during the day they mix but do not typically stay in another's company. The Wyandottes are 5 months old and have not started laying.
    Next question...my ladies free range in my fenced in back yard. Yes they can get out but normally don't. Will these new wyandottes stay near the current flock and coop? Will the Wyandottes go back into the coop at night? How do I get them to understand the coop is their new house?
    We're going away Saturday night and my mom is coming to lock the chickens up so I'm a bit worried about the new wyandottes if we get them.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd just wait to get the new birds until you get back. Sounds like that would be a lot less stressful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by