1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rehoming a rooster you really like

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EatMorSteak, Jun 10, 2011.

1. EatMorSteak

EatMorSteak Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Anyone ever have to rehome a rooster and really wanted to make sure that they get a good home and not be on someone's dinner plate? Out of my 5 chicks they are now old enough for me to know which ones are roosters. I have 3 roosters and 2 hens. My problem is they are getting along now, but from everything I've read that won't last. Which means I'll probably need to get rid of a rooster or 2, which is difficult because I like them all! But if I really need to I'd like to find them good homes.

Any suggestions on how to do that? What to look for? The main goal is to find someone that will not eat them!

2. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    I posted an ad on craigslist and made it clear that he was a pet and I wanted him to have a home with his own flock. I really liked him. I did not even set out to become attached, but he was so sweet and would come up to me and let me pick him up and stand on my shoulder.

3. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    i saw one person suggest selling him for a good price, that way the buyer would be very reluctant to cook him.
    you could also look for any farm animal sanctuaries in the area...or have the vet castrate him [​IMG] and then keep him

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm just curious what breeds they are.

I have roosters who were raised together, who get along and we built them a bachelor coop. You can see a picture of my Cochin and Opr roos (mellow fellows) sharing watermelon on MY BYC PAGE.

When we were first learning about chickens we tried to keep them with the hens but, the hens were over mated and started getting sort of bald.

I have heard of people finding a good home for their rooster when they specified that they were not selling them for slaughter on Craigs list, but it could take a bit longer. You could also post on the auction section of the forum and price them free or really low for local pick up or drop off. I have heard of someone who price the cockerel at $10 to dissuade folks who wanted a chicken for the dinner table.

5. EatMorSteak

May 28, 2011
    scratch'n'peck :

I'm just curious what breeds they are.

I have roosters who were raised together, who get along and we built them a bachelor coop. You can see a picture of my Cochin and Opr roos (mellow fellows) sharing watermelon on MY BYC PAGE.

When we were first learning about chickens we tried to keep them with the hens but, the hens were over mated and started getting sort of bald.

I have heard of people finding a good home for their rooster when they specified that they were not selling them for slaughter on Craigs list, but it could take a bit longer. You could also post on the auction section of the forum and price them free or really low for local pick up or drop off. I have heard of someone who price the cockerel at $10 to dissuade folks who wanted a chicken for the dinner table.

I have 3 OEGB's which 2 are roosters and have started to crow. I also have 2 silver Sebright's and have 1 rooster and one hen. Having roosters to 2 hens to me will eventually spell trouble.​

6. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    some roos do get along [​IMG] i'd get a few more girls and wait to see what happens you could have a pretty peaceful flock.

7. EatMorSteak

May 28, 2011
    Quote:I sure hope you're right. [​IMG] I'd like to keep them all if at all possbile. Not sure if I want to get more girls. My chicken tractor isn't that big.

8. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    well if you have that many roos, then at least one more hen is a must. roosters will fight if there aren't enough hens to go around.

9. EatMorSteak

May 28, 2011
    Quote:Well twist my arm! I may just have to get one more hen. Thanks for giving me an excuse to start looking.[​IMG]

10. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    I thought it was best to ratio hens to roos at least 8 to 1. 1 roo for every 8 hens, with 10 being a better number.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by