Rehoming adult male Pekin - Need advice

whatsyourtheory

Hatching
Mar 30, 2019
We had 2 male ducks for a little over a year (from babies). Last month a bobcat got in our backyard and killed one. They were half inside/half outside ducks, spending the majority of the day outside, but coming in the house before dark living in a nice large pen. After the one duck was killed, we were too paranoid to put the other in the backyard alone, particularly because Animal Control let me know that behind my fence is a natural habitat where they dump the bobcats that they catch. So I have been taking him outside a few hours a day, but the rest of the day inside is a bit frustrating. I spend an hour in the morning in the bathroom with him, letting him swim in the tub (it's a decent size), while I have breakfast and do work on my laptop. You can tell he's lonely, because every reflective surface in the house he hovers over and quacks at. He also chases the "shadow duck" on the back fence when the sun is low. He thinks my husband is just a big duck, and he legit doesn't calm all the way down until he comes home from work, which could be at anytime between 6 PM and 2 AM. I can't really get anything done because I am constantly on duck watch. So, we found out one of my clients has 3 adult female Pekin ducks and has a large property with a pond. They stay outside, but in the winter, they bring them in. My question is will he be okay? Will he feel abandoned or will he adjust?

I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

Ducks are very social, and you'll find almost everyone here agreeing that they need duck friends. If he were my duck I would feel that I had two options. Get him a male friend and make a complete predator proof enclosure for outside time. Or rehome him. He'll likely be quite happy with those 3 ladies!

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom