1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rehoming extra roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by horsewishr, Nov 17, 2007.

1. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Do most "extra" roosters wind up finding homes, or stewpots? I'm not talking about the poor souls that never make it out of the commerical hateries--but those who are hatched out at home.

Are roos of rare breeds more likely to escape the dinner table?? The reason I ask, is that I'm tempted to get hatching eggs, but I definitely don't want to keep any roosters. So I'm thinking if I hatch something exotic (like wheaten marans), perhaps I'll be able to find homes for the cockerels.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think most end up stew pot. That's where all mine go. If people have the right ratio of birds, my guess is 9/10 will become food. I keep the best for breeders.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Far to many roosters hatched each year to rehome them all unless it is something exceptional. My extras get rehomed to the deep freeze.

4. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Quote:I guess that's the $24,000 question. Would wheaten marans be "exceptional" enough to find homes.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I doubt it really. Even class A serama roo's have to be dispatched. And they are no good for eating.

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Yep....some would say that's the problem with the world - not enough GOOD roos, and too many inferior ones...

We are still talking about chickens, right??[​IMG]

7. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Quote:I guess that's the $24,000 question. Would wheaten marans be "exceptional" enough to find homes.

I'd drive down to take one roo off your hands. Ours was a meanie so he had to go. I would like to try another this coming spring. [​IMG]

8. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    I'll keep you in mind, schmoo. I probably won't wind up doing it, though. And if I do, it most likely won't be next year.

So, as far as dinner roosters go, does anybody have trouble finding takers? (Assuming it's a decent size bird.)

9. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    I rehome my extra roosters by taking them down to the local livestock yard.

With this method, there's no garauntee they're not going to end up in the buyer's stewpot, but that's the way it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by