Rehoming feral Muscovies in Tennessee

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by homeshow, Feb 16, 2015.

1. homeshow

homeshow Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2014
    Tn law doesn't protect feral muscovies. There isn't even an animal control dept. in our county. People drop off unwanted pets at local boat docks and expect muscovies to live happily ever after in an environment God didn't make them for. I consider capture and rehoming as a viable option.

Any suggestions?

2. mirandaleecon

mirandaleecon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    I'm confused, are they feral or were they someone's pets? Unless you see someone dropping them off, or they are clearly in trouble, I would say let them be...

3. homeshow

May 14, 2014
    Feral is the word for a pet released into the wild. Pets should not get dropped off at local lakes. Lavenders and barred chocolates aren't wild. They are aggressive to the native ducks and have run off or killed most of the coots and mallards.

It's the same problem as pythons in the everglades competing with gators. Just cuter.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So you want to take them and rehome them? Muscovys make wonderful pets.What part of Tennessee?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  5. homeshow

May 14, 2014
    We have French whites already. Are you familiar with Rhea county? There are à bunch in soddy daisy as well.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Nope don't know counties I'm in western NC on the Tenn line close to Johnson city closer to Erwin

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If you do decide to capture and rehome, I'd be interested in some Muscovies! I'm just a few counties away in Fentress. I'm not familiar with the Rhea area, other than its fairly close. How hard would they be to catch?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  8. homeshow

May 14, 2014
    Here are 3, 1 lavender/blue drake and 2 chocolate girls. Doing fine and girls look like they are getting a little bigger.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by