Rehoming Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by koakritters, Jul 1, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    How do you find homes for your roosters? I've got mine up on CL, and made fliers for the feed stores, but so far no one has been interested. I'm even giving them away... any tips or tricks you have? I've got all ages, 3 year old, 3 month old, 1 month olds...

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    try chicken swaps [​IMG] i find that if i'm sitting there, petting a nice looking rooster on my lap, showing that he is friendly, people are more interested in them than the roosters sitting in cages that could have any temperment. you can also advertise on here. good luck finding homes for your roos!

3. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    i don't know if i have any of those around here, i've never heard of any! [​IMG] maybe that's a good thing for me though... is there a website or anything that you can look them up? maybe if there's one close enough by i could drive there...

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Unless you have a rare/special breed, it's often hard to find homes for roosters. Many folks can't even have roosters, and for folks who can...well, when you only need one rooster for 8-10 hens and figure that half the chickens born will be roosters, you can see the problem...especially at this time of year, when everyone is trying to get rid of them (or find homes for them). Keep doing what you're doing, advertising on CL or any other place you can think of. I'd probably offer them for free, although many might want them for meat. It's a lot easier for folks who eat their unwanted roos - they simply process them.

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Check to see if your state has SPCA and if they have any resources regarding roosters. Here in Mass they a farm north of Boston that takes roosters. They take them in quarentine and have them checked out by a vet.After that they are let out into the yard with the others,no hens around so there is nothing to fight about. I got rid of 2 roosters that way for a $10 donation each. Although i would have handled it a different way but was out-voted. There would have been a couple of oven stuffer roasters in the meat freezer,darn kids.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  6. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Umm, freezer?

7. California Gurl

California Gurl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Quote:It is hard finding "good" homes for roosters. I don't question the person(s) who are interested in the rooster if they want him for a pet of dinner. The best you can hope for is that it'll live for a bit after you give him away.

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    ALL of my roosters find their way to the freezer eventually. If you take good care of them with feed and other welfare they should provide good nutrition for your family.
    The most populous vertibrate on the planet and a 50/50 male/female ratio at hatch. Lots of meat.

9. catlady58

catlady58 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Chicken fights are not uncommon in my area. I want to sell my 2 excess BO roos. I am thinking selling them is better because maybe they won't be taken for food (at least at first) or fighting. (2 of them are very large and lovely) Am I being naive? Or is there a way for 3 roos to get along with only 15 hens so I don't have to risk getting new homes? Can anyone advise me?[​IMG]

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I had the same problem a couple of months ago with a red sex-link rooster. I eventually put up a really creative Craigslist ad up that offered him free to a good home.

I am actually posting the story about that roo in the Stories forum if you are interested. It's under Goldie the Conquerer. I'm not done with the story yet, but the part about Craigslist is up. [​IMG]

I hope my experience helps you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by