Rehoming Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sadies chicks, Jul 8, 2011.

1. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Ok so I am trying to find new homes for my 3 silkie boys but am not having great luck. My thought (and DH's nightmare) what if I relocate the boys to anther part of the yard (we have a half acre) where they can't see the girls and therefore can live a bachelor life? Does anyone do this and if so does it work? Just trying to think of some alternates here....and culling is NOT one of them [​IMG]

2. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    You could inquire if any of your local humane societies have a poultry program. Luckily for me there is one close to where I live that is willing to accept hens and roosters along with a monetary donation from the person surrendering them. They assess their health and temperment and if acceptable after a quaratine period they are placed out for adoption. You could check around in your area.
    Good Luck![​IMG]

You have to remember that any life you have given them is most likely a more peaceful and quality life than what they could have had...most don't even get a chance at life as they are just surplus from the industry![​IMG]

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I guess my question is what is it that you are trying to achieve? [​IMG]

Like Danyy said you can check with your local humane society or SPCA to see if they have a farm that takes in rooosters. Thats what I did with 2 of my 3 white rocks. It was just to much for the girls,3 roos at 10 pounds apiece. Call your local animal control officer and ask them if there are any resources that they might know about.

If your trying to keep them from crowing, moving them wont stop them. Although it will keep them from getting physical with the girls.[​IMG]

4. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Ok, I will try the Humane Society next, good idea!! I have contacted 4H and am waiting to hear back.

To answer your question duckinnut - my goal is to eventually not have an roosters. We had gotten the roos as chicks and were crossing fingers they were female. I was just thinking a short/maybe long term possibility of relocating them across the yard, one to keep them off the girls (although it is pretty funny to see a teenage silkie boy try to grab hold of a red sex link girl who is twice his size!!) and the other to keep them from fighing cause of the girls. Granted, they will fight cause that is what boys do, but it won't be as bad if the "girl" piece is taken from them.

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate them!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by