Rehoused chicken advice needed

sara1226

Songster
Apr 15, 2015
Northern Wisconsin
Well, we finished up our coop. It's much like the Wichita coop design on this page. I got 2 Jersey Giants from a friend of mine, just about 5 years old. I got them late Saturday, and I'm concerned because there is no eggs yet. My question is.. When should I start to worry? They seem happy, they run up to me and let me hand feed them, and they get along great. They just seem to go in and out of the nesting boxes sometimes, but I just find pee in there. I realize they might need time to adjust to their new home, but I don't know how long is too long for a chicken to NOT lay eggs. Any advice is much appreciated!

Well, we finished up our coop. It's much like the Wichita coop design on this page. I got 2 Jersey Giants from a friend of mine, just about 5 years old. I got them late Saturday, and I'm concerned because there is no eggs yet. My question is.. When should I start to worry? They seem happy, they run up to me and let me hand feed them, and they get along great. They just seem to go in and out of the nesting boxes sometimes, but I just find pee in there. I realize they might need time to adjust to their new home, but I don't know how long is too long for a chicken to NOT lay eggs. Any advice is much appreciated!

Were they reported to be actively laying when you took them? The reason I ask is that 5 years of age is a point at which a fairly considerable drop in production would be expected as a starting point - so the birds may not have been producing to begin with. When you say you are finding pee in the boxes, are you finding wet nest materiel and, if so, are any of the wet spots such that you can see some "form" to them such as perhaps spots of what would be egg white (thicker and more mucous like than plain liquid urine would be)?
Typically, if a bird is actively laying and is moved one can expect a disruption of anywhere from days to weeks as they recover from the stress of the move.

Back
Top Bottom