Reimagine this chicken tractor.....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SomeChickinTN, Feb 19, 2019.

1. SomeChickinTN

SomeChickinTN Songster

Nov 19, 2018
    E TN
    So I'm working with what I've got right now. My main coop is only big enough for 10 or 12 chickens. I'm trying to turn this tractor into a permanent coop. But idk if I want to use it for a broody coop, or a transition coop for older hens. Or what. I have 5 older hens in there right now, but I've realized I'm pretty sure that whoever built it did it for bantys.

IMG_20190219_093134~2.jpg
    Should I build on to it? (started framing the top).... Should I just tear it down and build a second small coop? Currently I am thinking about building an addition on it and then rewiring the whole thing. I guess I'm just trying to plan for chicken math. I was just going to stick with my coop, but this was given to me and I figured I could fix it up and use it for something....

2. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    Canton, Ohio
    Wow that is super small for even 2-3 chickens. I say only use it for quarantine if a chicken is sick or being bullied. Just build a newer one for your 5 chickens.

rosemarythyme and SomeChickinTN like this.
  3. RUNuts

RUNuts Free Ranging

May 19, 2017
    Eastern Houston
    I enjoy seeing creative building out of available materials. If you have the materials, I'd just build another one. Cobbling an addition onto this one looks challenging & by the time you reinforced it, you'd be ahead starting from scratch, imho.

I'm using salvaged shipping crates with great success. Ask at the local tractor supplier for shipping crates. Pallets are heat treated and shatter. Challenging, but can be done. Hint, hydraulic jacks help deconstruction for usable pieces.

Spartan22 and SomeChickinTN like this.
  4. SomeChickinTN

SomeChickinTN Songster

Nov 19, 2018
    E TN
    Yeah, I imagine you're right. The bottom of the frame would need to be fixed too..why tear it down and rebuild it if I can build a better one.

If I build another coop, could I attach it to the run, and just let the whole flock have access to two coops?

RUNuts likes this.
  5. RUNuts

RUNuts Free Ranging

May 19, 2017
    Eastern Houston
    "If you build another coop" should be "when you build another coop". Chicken math. ;)

If the flock is trained to one coop, they won't willingly move to another. What is the advantage to having the tractor coop accessible to the main flock? I'm asking to learn. I'm new to this, too.

Do you free range? Keep everyone in a confined space? I can see this tractor for brooder use, rooster grow outs or isolation ward, if it is usable. From my side, it looks like you want to use it and will make trouble for yourself. If the frame needs fixing, deconstruct and put usable materials on the build pile.

SomeChickinTN likes this.
  6. SomeChickinTN

SomeChickinTN Songster

Nov 19, 2018
    E TN
    No, the tractor wouldn't be attached to the run. My coop isn't big enough for flock expansion unless I add more roost bars and ignore the 4sqft in the coop rule. My run is 200 sqft. But if I can't ignore the 4sqft (they only sleep in there) then I'd have to build the second coop just to have more birds. So I was trying to figure out if I could attach the new one to the run, and then just "home" new birds to the second coop, and they could share the run...

RUNuts and Spartan22 like this.
  7. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    I would build another coop.

8. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    Canton, Ohio
    I built this 2nd coop out of recycled materials last spring that @RUNuts was talking about (shipping crates) And kids swing frame that I don’t know what to do with, was left by previous owner of our house. Currently I have 6 hens in there and still working on the run.
    18326F9D-E75C-413B-A1DE-25B1866BE6FC.jpeg

SomeChickinTN and RUNuts like this.
  9. RUNuts

RUNuts Free Ranging

May 19, 2017
    Eastern Houston
    Anything is possible. Would attaching tractor to run cause a weak point in the run for predator defense? Is it worth the trouble or risk? Just giving you some ideas to think through. Anything is possible and we are here to help! :D

SomeChickinTN and Spartan22 like this.
  10. RUNuts

RUNuts Free Ranging

May 19, 2017
    Eastern Houston
    NICE GARDEN!
    Are the chickens roaming around in that paradise? How to you protect the plants?
    I tried to cohabitate garden and chickens and lost. Now they play clean (tear) up crew.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: