Reintroducing Hen to the Flock after Injury

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kate&Thad, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Kate&Thad

Kate&Thad Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    I'm still very new to chickens. It's been just over a week since Henny Penny has taken up residency in my guest bathroom. She was injured when a hawk got ahold of her. She currently has stitches and isn't quite ready to go back out to the coop. On Christmas day we thought we'd give her some outside time. Believe me it wasn't my best idea. At first the other hens just walked circles around her. Then they started beating her up pretty bad. And after a few minutes I was freaking out and made Thad pick her up. I'm not ready for those stitches to come out. So I need help!

How do I reintroduce her to my flock? What should I expect? I understand that either way she is going to get a little pecking on, but I wasn't expecting the other hen to jump on top of her.
    Thanks so much for your help!

Kate

2. Amethystnz

Amethystnz New Egg

Dec 27, 2011
    When I had to introduce a hen back in that had had stitches, I put her in a separate coop next to the other girls so they could still see each other. They chatted through the mesh for a couple weeks, she had her stitches out at 7 days, but I wanted to be sure the healing process was well underway. We put them together about 3 weeks later (minus the chickens that attacked her in the first place!). There was a little bit of fighting for a couple days but she did become the boss of the flock [​IMG].
    Hope that's helpful [​IMG].

3. Kate&Thad

Kate&Thad Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    Thanks, that is my plan. I don't think she'll become head Hen, She's smaller than all of them. I've come somewhat attached to the little bugger. Seeing her get beat up is like watching your kid gets bullied at school. It was awful. I'm hoping they all become good friends again. I need to get her out of my bathroom SOON!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by