1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Reintroducing Injured Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by samjo06, Apr 27, 2015.

1. samjo06

samjo06 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    A few weeks ago one of my chickens developed a sore from overmating that the rest of the flock pecked so badly she had a deep gouge and I wasn't sure she was going to make it.
    I seperated her and cleaned her wound and bandaged it and she healed well. I have been trying to reintroduce her to the flock, but they keep pecking at her head. She has a little bit of blood on it now and almost no feathers after a few hours in the run.
    I need advice on how to reintroduce her to the flock safely.

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    If you have a way to keep them separate where they can still SEE each other without physical access for a week or so, that's the best way to acclimate the birds.

Also, if there seems to be one or two that are causing the problem, you can trade your recouped hen for the mean bird(s) and separate them for a day or two before putting them back. This little trick can make every one play nicer.

MrsB

3. samjo06

Sep 17, 2013

Could I put the dog kennel she has been staying in inside the run during the day and bring her back in at night?

4. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas

Certainly. :)

MrsB

5. samjo06

Sep 17, 2013
    Awesome I will try it! I don't want to have to rehome her.

6. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    You shouldn't need to. :)

If you can determine which chicken STARTS the bullying, separating that one or two will make things go a lot smoother if they still want to be pecky after the see-no-touch method, as I mentioned previously.

When you get ready to release her, leave the crate in the run with the door open and let her make her own decision as far as entering and exiting.

Keep us posted! :D

MrsB

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  7. samjo06

Sep 17, 2013
    Wow took me way too long to get back to y'all.
    Injured chicken has been reintroduced to the flock and is thriving. Also introduced 2 banties to the flock and everyone seems to be doing relatively well. Happy chickens, lots of eggs. So glad chicky hung in there

8. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Hey, life happens!

So glad this story has a happy ending. :) Eggs are certainly a GOOD thing!!

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by