Reintroducing pecked chick...did not go well

augustmomx2

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Central Indiana
Several days ago, my littlest chick (a gold sex-link) had her tail feathers pecked out and was a bloody mess on her back-end. I removed her immediately and she has since been secluded in our garage. She is doing extremely well and follows me and my ds around like we're her parent or something
big_smile.png

I attempted to reintroduce her yesterday and it did not go well
sad.png
They began to peck her rear-end again, but after realizing I put Vicks near there, they began to peck her head. I grabbed her and put her back into our garage. It seems as though, its the roos who are responsible (Ideal sent me 7 RIR for warmth). They were the ones who began pecking at her. They are eventually going to go to a co-worker of dh. I don't know if I reintroduced her too early, if I didn't do it correctly or if I need to get rid of the roos beforehand. Any info or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! TIA
big_smile.png

me thinks you should put her and a couple chicks who don't peck her in a cage until she's healed then reintroduce all of them....

might not work but not quite sure

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
I am having the same problem but they are only pecking my polish top hats. They can't stand that they have feathers on their heads and they look like balding old men.
Try putting her in the coop at nighttime when they are roosting and when they wake up they go about their business. I have successfully introduced hens this way. Good luck.

Quote:
we used to have those.... our other chickens pecked the tophats till' there brains showed now only 1 roo left, and it's a tophat
wink.png

THis happened to one of my chickies earlier this week too..

I bought Black Salve at the feed store[to put on her bloody bum], because it gets rid of the flesh smell, and put a red light in the heating lamp...

Put stuff in the brooder for the chicks to play with, some people suggested pinecones, leaves, anything to keep them busy...

My chicky's bootie healed in a couple of days and the other chicks left her alone!
Good Luck!

Quote:
I know, I was thinking about that too. She seems so lonely, but I wanted to make sure it was okay. I'll get a few others this evening. Thanks
smile.png

Quote:
Good stuff, I am going to TSC 2morrow to pick up some shavings, I'll get some of that black salve while I'm there.

They are currently in their coop w/a heating lamp. I'll have to grab some "stuff" from outside & distract them.

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom