Reintroduction of chicken after gapeworm

Shannon0317

Hatching
Jun 14, 2020
I lost one chicken to gapeworm. I noticed another one of my chickens having symptoms of gapeworm. I isolated the chicken immediately and treated her with febendazole, safe guard for goats, for 5 days. She is asymptotic but was wondering when i can reintroduce back into the flock. The flock is not displaying any symptoms of gapeworm and do not want to infect them. The chickens are 25 weeks old.

They have all been exposed. The sick birds likely shed the worm eggs in their droppings before you even knew there was a problem. They can get infected by ingesting those eggs in the droppings (happens while scratching and pecking in the soil), or by eating a secondary host like an earthworm, snail or slug that has ingested the eggs. I would not have isolated in this case, unless the bird was weak and at risk of attack by the flock, so I'd go ahead and put her back. I probably would have treated all of them at the same time. If another shows symptoms, that is what I would do, or you may be going in circles trying to treat them one at a time over and over. I assume you had confirmation that it was indeed gapeworm?

They have all been exposed. The sick birds likely shed the worm eggs in their droppings before you even knew there was a problem. They can get infected by ingesting those eggs in the droppings (happens while scratching and pecking in the soil), or by eating a secondary host like an earthworm, snail or slug that has ingested the eggs. I would not have isolated in this case, unless the bird was weak and at risk of attack by the flock, so I'd go ahead and put her back. I probably would have treated all of them at the same time. If another shows symptoms, that is what I would do, or you may be going in circles trying to treat them one at a time over and over. I assume you had confirmation that it was indeed gapeworm?
Thank you for the response and your right about them being all exposed. I guess I was thrown off by her showing symptoms and the rest did not. I will treat the whole flock, makes sense. No, I did not take the bird to the vet to have gapeworm confirmed. I know there is a kit out there where you examine droppings but not sure if it will pick up gapeworm. I know it was probably risky to assume gapeworm but it did look like all the symptoms. Again, thank you for the info, I am new to this site and newer to sick birds. I've had alot of chickens but all have been healthy.

Even though gapeworms live in the esophagus, some of the eggs still travel the digestive tract and end up in the droppings, so a fecal would likely show them. A vet can also do a swab of the esophagus. You can try a mail in option for a fecal if you don't have a vet that will do one for you:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J5SOZ...colid=27RHKHAM35GO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Sometimes a respiratory infection can look like gapeworm, so that's why I asked if you'd had confirmation of the worms.

Back
Top Bottom