Reintroduction of hen to flock

Rcasady

Chirping
Jan 17, 2022
I've been quarantining my buff Orpington (Karen) after an injury. She's better but still moving slow. She is in a second coop and run so the flock sees her and even lays next to her but with a fence between them. I keep trying to let her out to move back in with the flock but I have 1 hen that targets her as soon as she's out of the run. This hen jumps on her back and pulls at her neck feathers (no blood spilt) Is this behavior just re-establishing pecking order or is it aggression? Karen gets submissive when the hen jumps on her but I then grab her and put her back in protection. Should I let the encounter continue to see if it works itself out? Or should I keep her separated?

I've been quarantining my buff Orpington (Karen) after an injury. She's better but still moving slow. She is in a second coop and run so the flock sees her and even lays next to her but with a fence between them. I keep trying to let her out to move back in with the flock but I have 1 hen that targets her as soon as she's out of the run. This hen jumps on her back and pulls at her neck feathers (no blood spilt) Is this behavior just re-establishing pecking order or is it aggression? Karen gets submissive when the hen jumps on her but I then grab her and put her back in protection. Should I let the encounter continue to see if it works itself out? Or should I keep her separated?
I would keep her adjacent to the flock as you have been until she is 100% recovered and mobile. Then let her interact with them again.
Are any of the other hens friendly towards her? If so, put her in with Karen while she continues to gain strength and full function.

I would keep her adjacent to the flock as you have been until she is 100% recovered and mobile. Then let her interact with them again.
Are any of the other hens friendly towards her? If so, put her in with Karen while she continues to gain strength and full function.
This^^^

Then....you could also put the bully hen in the separate enclosure the next time she attacks the cripple.

Put the mean hen where you have the injured hen, and the injured hen with the flock and see how that goes. If that goes well, then leave them set up that way until the injured hen is completely recovered.

Then add back the mean hen - if she is still mean - cull her.

If other pick on the injured hen, put her back and wait a little longer.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom