Reintroduction to Flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kle2684, Feb 16, 2017.

1. kle2684

kle2684 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2014
    I had an issue and had to separate 2 of my 5 birds from the flock. My Brahma who has been separated for about a month is in good health and needs to be re-introduced. Every time I try and put her back with her sisters, they gang up on her. She tries to run away, they jump on her back and pull the feathers out of the back of her head. I left her alone with them for about 15 minutes and they had pecked at her comb and made it bleed. How can I make this re-introduction go smoothly??? I also will have to add my Rhoade Island Red back in with them as well...but that's a few weeks off still.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You're probably better off waiting until you can add them both back at the same time.
    Those 2 are now 'strangers' to the other 3.
    Lots of space, multiple feed/water stations, and places to 'hide' all will help.

If you want specific suggestions, describe your coop and run in detail...pics would help too.

Meanwhile, read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
    This is good place to start reading, tho some info is outdated IMO:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

3. MontainBourbons

MontainBourbons Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    McCall Idaho
    I don't know how to help much. Whenever I do it my self it works smoothly. What I have heard is to introduce them at nights so that they are a little more calm.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    That is because chickens are inactive at night. In the past, I tried that and it all went haywire in the morning. Chickens do recognize a stranger, no matter when she is introduced.

5. MontainBourbons

MontainBourbons Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    McCall Idaho
    Ok I didn't know if it worked for sure, I just was trying to help.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I know you were. I wasn't trying to be argumentative - just sharing my experiences with that method. [​IMG]

7. kle2684

kle2684 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2014
    Thanks for all the input. I added the Brahma and they seem to do ok for a bit and then she acts timid and two of the others gang up on her. She runs into the corner and buries her head and almost looks like she is playing dead. It's so dad to watch, especially since she used to be the top hen in the hen house. I tried to add her in with the other separated hen and they danced around each other and puffed all up and then seemed to calm down. I walked away for 10 minutes and when I came back, brahma was in a pike of leaves hiding her head. I NEED to find a way to make this work!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by