Rejected chick with injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StepRN, Jul 2, 2016.

1. StepRN

StepRN New Egg

May 23, 2014
    Georgia
    on June 21 I found this little guy on the ground he wasn't moving at first I scooped him/her up and carried him inside. Gump, the chick, is now thriving but I have yet to reintroduce him Im afraid of them rejecting him again. Any suggestions? what can I do about the comb i jury?[​IMG]

2. StepRN

StepRN New Egg

May 23, 2014
    Georgia
    [​IMG] June 22

3. StepRN

StepRN New Egg

May 23, 2014
    Georgia
    [​IMG] june 25

4. shahchicks4299

shahchicks4299 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2016
    Keep him warm, give him some TCL but also dip his beak into water so he stays hydrated. Good luck!

5. shahchicks4299

shahchicks4299 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2016
    TLC

6. StepRN

StepRN New Egg

May 23, 2014
    Georgia
    Hes eating and drinking like a champ and running and chirping but I tried to reintroduce him yesterday and the hens won't take him. They peck at him. so of course I brought him back inside with me. But I can't keep him inside forever. Im sure he's getting lonely.

7. Talithahorse

Talithahorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Hartselle, Al
    Is he the only chick born? Are there others that the hen has with her? How long has he been with you? How did you try to introduce him (at night works well for a lot of people if he has not been away long) If it has been a few days they might not accept him. Answering these questions will help us fully assess your situation and give you the best advice. He is cute, what kind is he/she?

8. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Bring in another chick or two to keep him company...
    add a small stuffed animal to his living space...

1 person likes this.
  9. StepRN

StepRN New Egg

May 23, 2014
    Georgia
    I brought him in on the 21st on June he has been inside for almost two weeks total. I reintroduced when he started walking on the 24th of June and the hens pecked at him, so I removed him, not wanting his comb damaged anymore and tried again 2 days later both times were early in the morning and both times, both broody hens (one is an australorp the other is a Araucana) pecked at him and ran him out of the nest.
    We hatched 4 other chicks. one is 4 days older, another is 3 days old and we had 2 hatched 2 days ago.
    My Rooster is an Araucana. So, I'm pretty sure Gump is an Araucana. My chicken knowledge is limited.

10. StepRN

StepRN New Egg

May 23, 2014
    Georgia
    [​IMG]

Gump today[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by