Rejected chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LoisCroft, Mar 29, 2007.

1. LoisCroft

LoisCroft New Egg

Mar 27, 2007
    I thought Silkies were supposed to be such good mamas, but maybe this little hen is immature or something. She started to peck at the chicks today and they are only about 3 weeks old. javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]', '');I put her in a separate place, and took the babies and put them under a heat lamp. I had made up a home made incubator and put them in there at a temperature of close to 100 degrees F. Should they be kept cooler?

2. pegbo

pegbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    I would lower the temp. to about 80-85 degrees, they should have started getting some feathers by now. I started my baby chicks last year a 95 degrees and lowered it about 5 degrees each week. So sorry that mamma deserted them![​IMG]

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Some do leave their chicks that early. I've got one that has completely left her chicks but I have another that even when her peeps are a couple of months old will come running if she hears one of her peeps in distress. Its just dependant on the bird.

Are you certain she has completely abandoned them? My hen who is done raising her chicks during the day sleeps with them at night, keeping them warm.

4. LoisCroft

LoisCroft New Egg

Mar 27, 2007
    Thanks guys, the night time temp here is about 70, so probably 80 inside without the air conditioning. I had them under the lamp last night, but it kept all the chickens that spend the night in the bath tub awake. I've been up since 4 this morning.

I put them in a separate plastic tub tonight with lots of straw and a big feather duster.

She was pecking at them and making them cry, which is why I separated them. Mama was very happy today with the other hens, didn't seem to even notice the chicks in the next pen. A hawk came about 10 this morning. (chicks were well protected in a good solid pen), the roosters made a fuss, and the chicks all hid, mama didn't seem to care. Chicks seem Ok with just each other and the duster tonight.

Hopefully, we'll all get some sleep tonight.

5. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    Well I guess there is a good thing for feather dusters after all. Good luck

6. PreciousCrystal

PreciousCrystal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2013
    did you just have to raise the babies by them selves? with out the help of the mother?

7. ozarkmomma

ozarkmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    the ozarks
    preciouscrystal, this thread is 6 years old. Note the date on the post 3/29/07

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by