Rejected eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckstaposition, May 14, 2016.

1. duckstaposition

duckstaposition New Egg

May 14, 2016
    Hi all. We recently inherited some ducks with our new house so this is all very alien to me. One of the females has been sitting on a dozen eggs for about fifteen days now. We came down this morning to discover two have been ejected from the nest, one of which is smashed. They are only a few inches from the sitting, hissing mother. I really don't think a predator has been near her and she was locked in the box containing her nest last night so she is the only suspect. Is this normal or expected behaviour in any way? Any help or reassurance would be greatly appreciated, I feel very responsible for the funny little blighters!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    I was thinking some possible insight into the development of the eggs. tough to know with ducks why they do things sometimes.

4. duckstaposition

duckstaposition New Egg

May 14, 2016
    Thank you for your replies. I did wonder if it was some sort of selection process but I haven't really seen it mentioned anywhere else. I know that some of the eggs were laid by the other female who shows NO inclination to get involved in any mothering.
    No further developments this morning, guess I'll just have keep my fingers crossed.

5. duckstaposition

duckstaposition New Egg

May 14, 2016
    [​IMG]
    It took about forty days from when I first thought she was sitting on eggs to produce this little beauty. Well worth the wait. Looks like it'll have a tufty crest like the pappa.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  6. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Yay! Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by