Rejected (?) pigeon hatchling

ilikepigeons

Songster
Nov 11, 2021
New Zealand
I have a 4 month old pair who's egg hatched sometime yesterday night. She was sitting on it and I thought might take care of it, but this morning I found it outside of the nest cold, it was alive and squirming but cold. She's laid another egg already and has two eggs now, there is one that (if it is fertile) is due to hatch tomorrow. I put the chick back under the hen to keep it warm, so far it is still there. I didn't see any evidence of being fed, although I didn't feel it it's crop looked empty.
I also saw that there was a piece of dry poo caked on the hatchling's vent, it that normal or is it a problem?
Do you think she's abandoned it?
I'd be willing to try raise it if they have abandoned it, since it's not got a chance if the parents aren't feeding it. Would it even be still alive if they weren't feeding it, though?
(questions below if she's abandoned it)
I can pick up baby bird formula at the pet store, would that be adequate? How many times a day should it be fed, temperature of the formula?
I have a plastic tank and electronic hot pack I would probably be able to use as a brooder, you would set the hot pack on low I assume?

Upon closer inspection there is no third egg, just the eggshell. The chick is still ok. I think (?) perhaps they fed it, I could see a bit of a curve about where the crop is. I'll still get the handfeeding formula just in case though.

I have a 4 month old pair who's egg hatched sometime yesterday night. She was sitting on it and I thought might take care of it, but this morning I found it outside of the nest cold, it was alive and squirming but cold. She's laid another egg already and has two eggs now, there is one that (if it is fertile) is due to hatch tomorrow. I put the chick back under the hen to keep it warm, so far it is still there. I didn't see any evidence of being fed, although I didn't feel it it's crop looked empty.
Wait an hour then check the squabs crop. If the crop is empty, I would pull it for hand feeding.

I also saw that there was a piece of dry poo caked on the hatchling's vent, it that normal or is it a problem?
A problem. Probably the results of the squab becoming chilled.

Do you think she's abandoned it?
Sounds like her cycle is messed up. Because she is so young she may not have the "pigeon milk" a newly hatched squab needs to thrive.
I'd be willing to try raise it if they have abandoned it, since it's not got a chance if the parents aren't feeding it. Would it even be still alive if they weren't feeding it, though?

There is some absorbed yolk to keep a squab alive until its strong enough to be fed. Look and see.
(questions below if she's abandoned it)
I can pick up baby bird formula at the pet store, would that be adequate?
Yes.
How many times a day should it be fed, temperature of the formula?
This you will be able to tell by checking the crop. When the crop is nearly empty feed again; day and night for the first few days. 100 degrees F.; warm to the touch, but not too hot-a bird's body temperature.

I have a plastic tank and electronic hot pack I would probably be able to use as a brooder, you would set the hot pack on low I assume?
The temperature needs to be 99-100F. Be careful it does not get too hot.

When I have to hand feed a squab I use moistened game bird mash. With one so tiny you could try a spoon and dip its bill in it to feed or use a very small syringe. The formula will have to be quite runny at first and pay close attention to the temperature.

My email is; [email protected] Feel free to email if the squab survives the first two day. You will need to make changes about then and I would be happy to advise.

Anything I can do to help it? It appears to be a piece on the outside of the vent I could probably pick off if that would help.
Do safe, but carefully. A warm, soft, damp cloth might help if you can't pick the debris off easily.
And just to check, when the crop is full it will bulge out a bit, right?
Yes. This picture shows a squab with a full crop. You may find it helpful to look at other squab pictures online.
download.jpg

Thankyou so much for the information.
You are welcome. I'm currently hand feeding two of my own squabs.

0.jpg

Do safe, but carefully. A warm, soft, damp cloth might help if you can't pick the debris off easily.
I had a quick try, couldn't get it off. It was completely dried on, I think it needs to be softened significantly to get it off without harming him, and I'm not sure how I can soften it. I tried with a damp cloth but it wasn't going to budge. Would squeezing warm water on it help or would that do more harm than good?

Yes. This picture shows a squab with a full crop. You may find it helpful to look at other squab pictures online.
His certainly doesn't look like that when I checked a few minutes ago, I ran my finger down his crop gently and it was flat, he hatched yesterday night so almost 24 hours and I haven't seen him a single time like that.
Would it be safe to take him out and feed him then put him back under or do I need to pull him completely?

The mother reminds me more of a shark than a pigeon, she is not happy at all that I am checking this often (every few hours) , I feel like she might abandon the hatchling and egg (which has pipped, by the way) if I keep this up.

Well I think I saw him just before he’d been fed, the crop is nice and full now.
But the poop is still a problem. Had another go at it today, tried to soften it with olive oil and warm water, it enlarged a bit but not soft enough to get off still, it is attached to his intestine.
Put him back under parents with a bit more water on it to hopefully soak up.
I’m not sure there’s much more I can do, if any ideas let me know. I’d be happy to take him to a bird vet if they’re able to do anything.
E5041901-B9EC-464F-BAB3-78AE68E69BCC.jpeg

That dark spot, I would just leave alone. Let it shake out on its own. Looks like parents are feeding junior. Let see what happens. The growth rate in first days on crop milk is significantly fast.
The parent acts like a shark,,, because it is protective of its young... Even though young, and inexperienced still.
It is good that you are in current warm season. :thumbsup

Well I think I saw him just before he’d been fed, the crop is nice and full now.
But the poop is still a problem. Had another go at it today, tried to soften it with olive oil and warm water, it enlarged a bit but not soft enough to get off still, it is attached to his intestine.
Put him back under parents with a bit more water on it to hopefully soak up.
I’m not sure there’s much more I can do, if any ideas let me know. I’d be happy to take him to a bird vet if they’re able to do anything.
View attachment 2992299
Leave that spot alone. That is where the umbilical cord was and it needs to heal. It is not debris but a scab. The squab is being fed so leave it with Mom and Dad; they will feed it much better than any person could.

Dad should start care of the nest and squab around 9AM. Watch him to be sure he is caring for the squab. From what you posted yesterday, any problem may be because of the male. Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom