Rejected weak day old!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RAPmom, Dec 30, 2012.

1. RAPmom

RAPmom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    Reno, nv
    My chicken hatched 1of 6 eggs on Friday, all good. I expected the rest to be duds. My son got me this am and said there was a dead chick! I went out to get it and picked it up with a bag, was saying so sorry sweetly and it moved. So I bagan to warm and dry it. After awhile I gave it back to momma. Checked later and she pushed it away. So I'm trying desperately to save her. Any tips would be great. I have her in the house with a heat lamp and covers. Been getting drops of water down her but she is just laying there.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

You're doing great so far. Chicks can live without food or water for two or three days after hatching so don't be too concerned about it until then. Keep the little fuzzy butt warm (95 degrees) and watch closely. If it is not up and running around at the end of the second day, you can mix some granulated sugar into a bit of water and try dipping it's beak in that. Only drip it into it's beak if it will not drink on it's own. The sugar will give it some energy and maybe it will start to perk up and eat. Boiled egg yolk will be good if he/she will peck it, as will medicated starter mash mixed with plain yogurt. There are some supplements available at TSC but they will probably not be necessary if the sugar water and egg yolk won't work. There may be something wrong with the chick that the hen recognized and that will make it impossible for you to save. Do what you can but don't get too hopeful until there is major improvement. Rest assured that it would have had NO Chance if you had not picked it up and brought it in. You can only do so much, though, so don't beat yourself up if it doesn't make it.

Good luck!

3. RAPmom

Dec 10, 2012
    Reno, nv
    Thank you so much! She is chirping a bit and trying to move, not walking. Great ideas and I will not push the food and water till tomorrow. I am keeping her warm. I named her miracle, and no matter what happens she has showed me how much I care for these little guys!

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

You're quite welcome!

Get a thermometer and put it in with little Miracle to make sure the temp is right on her level. Too hot is just as bad as too cold. If you want to try the sugar water tomorrow, put a level teaspoon in a tall glass of water and stir well. Only use that much the first few times, normally if you want to put some in the waterer, it would be a couple of tablespoons per gallon. Change it for a fresh mixture every 24 hours as it will spoil and attract bugs quickly.

5. 101chickenlover

101chickenlover Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2012
    OK.. try to get onther baby chick because she could be lonely. Next get chick starter, put up a brooder and the temperature should be 90 to 95. you need to get a light for the temperature. The baby chick should be fine after you get all that. HOPE THIS HELPS[​IMG]

6. RAPmom

Dec 10, 2012
    Reno, nv
    Update! Miracle is doing great! Walking, chirping, eating and drinking! My other concern is my momma chicken with the other chick is not walking. She was impacted with poo which I cleaned out. Should I take away her other baby and raise them? To be clear, the mom is not walking, baby is great. If I take baby away, will she go back to coop with other chickens? Thank you all, your brilliant![​IMG]

7. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

You know, I think I would take the other chick from the hen. It will be better to raise two chicks in the house than to raise one. The easiest thing for you would be to let the hen raise them both. If that is not possible, once the hen is certain that her chick(s) are gone, she will join the other hens and be none the worse for wear.

If you want to try letting the hen raise the babies, take the one and let her hear it cheeping while you hold it. Let M peep with it in a small box or cage where the hen can see them but not get to them. Once she is fairly frantic to get to the chick(s) let her. If you see any signs that she wants to harm M, separate her form the chicks again. It may take a few times, and M may never imprint on the hen, but she can "mother" them better and teach them to be chickens better than a person. On the other hand, if you raise them together in the house, they will be spoiled rotten lap chickens that will bring you daily joy. It's up to you!

Don't thank us, you did this! It is hardest the first time. You will have more confidence and knowledge next time. I am happy for you! Congratulations.

8. RAPmom

Dec 10, 2012
    Reno, nv
    So far so good, momma took both babies under her wing. Momma is weak, gave her treat and made sure water and food closer to her. Fingers crossed they are a family! Happy new year!

9. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

[​IMG]

10. XavCas

XavCas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    May I ask what kind of chickens they are.? And glad they are all doing great.!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by