Rejection by group

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by megsmum, Jun 26, 2016.

1. megsmum

megsmum Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2015
    I have one of two Cochins who is having real issues.

The whole flock is made up of various breeds and the Cochins two Brahmas were added in March this year. After the initial scraps everyone has live in harmony.

About 7 days ago dynamics changed
    Husband saw one Cochin drink and then as he described vomit clear fluids.

Shortly after the other Hens including the cockerel started to attack her, the worst offender is my Drake ( Khaki Campbell)

Now she will not come out of the house. I have taken her out and popped her into a separate run, where she eats an drinks
    ok I have given her Apple Cider Vinegar in the water and olive oil as I thought she might have an impacted crop.

She does stand with her head down and bum in the air. Not all the time

I tried putting her back with the others but as soon as they see her they just run from everywhere, I am at a loss as to what to do.

Any advice appreciated

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would recommend caging her with food and water in plain site of the others, just to remain a part of the flock while you try to figure out what is wrong. It can be common to spit up water after drinking. Check the crop to see if it is empty, full, soft or hard. Crops can be puffy and slow to empty overnight when sick with coccidiosis and other illnesses. Chickens will sometimes pick on an ill chicken. Check her droppings for runny poops with mucus or blood, standing puffed up or hunched, refusing to eqt, all signs of cocci. Corid is good for treatment of cocci. Check inside her vent for a stuck egg with one finger inserted 1-2 inches. Since there are birds recently added from different flocks, I would reqlly look for cocci.

3. megsmum

Feb 5, 2015
    Thanks. Yes the run is In the middle of the main chicken enclosure. Her crop feels "grainy". I'll have a look at thee other end later

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her crop should have food in it during the day, and be mostly empty by morning before she eats again.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  5. megsmum

Feb 5, 2015
    She is not refusing to eat or drink and is happy when isolated as soon as she's out then the Drake runs at her and goes mad. Her bum area looks clean. She is hunched at times and feathers fluffy. Her wattle y comb are pink not pale. I'm going to take her to the vets in the morning

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you separate rhe drake for a few days? I don't have ducks, but I have read where the males can be aggressive toward pullets and hens. Let us know what you find out at your vet.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Drakes can injure - even fatally - chicken hens if they try to mate with them. The equipment is just not the same. I would keep the drake away from the chickens.

8. megsmum

Feb 5, 2015
    No he's not trying to mate he's non agressive with any others and it's not only him. Normally he's very sweet natured. We have always kept Chickens and ducks together with no problems plus the other hens y rooster are also agressive towards her. My instinct us she's sick do I'm taking to the vets today

9. megsmum

Feb 5, 2015
    UPDATE

She is not sick, she is/was broody, in some cases, other hens etc will attack a broody hen if they get off the nest, this is what was happening. My vet advised me to just keep taking her off the nest, which I did, she got a bit battered but now its settled down and she is integrating back in now, even the Drake is leaving her alone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by