Rel. humidity ~35%, 'bator should be ??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alicefelldown, Jan 15, 2010.

1. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    If the relative humidity outside the incubator averages around 35%, then the (forced air) incubator should be kept as close to 50% as possible for the first 18 days right? Or do I just try to stay in the 40-50% range? Would that also change the preferred lockdown readings to closer to 70%?

Incubator is located in Southern California, ~20 miles inland from the beach. I wouldn't consider this area 'desert' as we get the cool ocean breeze, but it is sunny, warm, and we have cacti. Warmer than Santa Barbara. From there, tucked away inside of a cabinet, away from drafts and windows.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    The humidity outside the vator makes no real differance. It is what the humidity on the inside is what matters. Anything higher than 40% for the first 18 days is on the high side. I would try to kee[ it between 35% and 40% for the first 18 days. Then for the last 3 days kick it up o 60%.iMuch higher than that and the chicks may drown.

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

50-55 degrees F the first 18 days
    60-70 the last three days; however, once the hatching begins, the humidity will go haywire. Don't worry about it, but if moisture forms on the incubators cover, remove a red plug.

4. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    Humidity is affected but air temp so whatever it is outside of the incubator it wont affect what is inside. The hotter the air the less humidity it can hold and since the incubator is usually hotter inside than outside they wont be affected the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by