Relatively new to BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AprilinWinter, Feb 2, 2013.

1. AprilinWinter

AprilinWinter New Egg

Feb 2, 2013
    I got my first layers in July. It's been so much fun! I was worried how they would handle our Minnesota winters, but so far everything has been fine (except for a few frozen eggs). I would like try meat birds next year. Was leaning toward the freeranger breed (10 of them). I would also like to add two egg layers (I have two now). I'd appreciate the opinion of you "pros" on my plan. I am thinking I'll put a separate house/fenced yard right next to where the current birds are housed. My thought is that the birds will get used to each other with the fence between them and then I can just put the two new layers on the other side of the fence at the right time. Will the meat birds pick on the two "different" birds? Will this be a good way to integrate the new girls into the flock?

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!

3. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Ideally when you get new chickens you should keep them separate and quarantined from your flock for at least a month to make sure they are healthy and pest free. Then when it's time to introduce them putting them next to each other for awhile would make integration easier. There will be some fighting and bullying as the new ones get put into their place in the pecking order, but unless blood is drawn leave them to it.

I'm afraid I've no experience with meat birds, but ask here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/21/meat-birds-etc

5. AprilinWinter

AprilinWinter New Egg

Feb 2, 2013
    Thanks!

6. silkieluver50

silkieluver50 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    Hello and [​IMG] Glad you joined us!!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, AprilinWinter, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! I think your integration plan is sound - I wouldn't worry. And no, I don't think the meat birds will pick on the others if you get them as chicks. I have raised Cornish X with layers the Cornish very quickly outgrow the hens and will sometimes take a peck at them, but the Cornish were so lazy and lethargic they wouldn't pursue the the more nimble hens. Best of luck to you and your poultry plans.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Raising new layers with the meat birds will go fine. Understand that whenever you introduce new birds to a flock there will be some fighting, pecking and harassment. As long as it is not excessive, it's best to let them work things out.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by