Relatively new turkey owner worried!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Inkyspal, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Inkyspal

Inkyspal New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    I have 3 standard bronze turkeys in a 12' X12' pen...the roof is 10' from the ground. I've raised them from tiny poults and they are very sweet pets. They are now about 5 months old. Until a few days ago, I thought I was lucky enough to have 2 hens and 1 tom. I have discovered, however, that I actually have 2 toms and 1 hen. One of the toms was just a late bloomer. They all get along perfectly right now, but I am very worried about what may play out in the spring when mating season begins.
    First of all, is my hen in danger of being injured or killed by having 2 toms with her? Their pen has plenty of tree limbs attached in the top for her to fly up on to get away from them.
    Second, is it always a guarantee that these toms will fight...or is it possible that they will be able to live together harmoniously? Should I go ahead and plan to build an addition onto the pen to be able to separate them if necessary?
    Never having had turkeys before, I'm not sure what I am in store for! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    They should start engaging in a bit of practice sparring, real soon now. They'll not be as intent as they will be in late winter/early spring. 99% of the time the sparring will look more dangerous than it is (they'll get banged up but they heal fast). If I was worried about their sparring (and beyond making sure there is nothing that will fall over on them when they're at it and using a file to remove the sharp tip from spurs, I don't), I'd probably leave the toms together to establish their order and provide the hen with a run. out of sight of the boys, along with a safe dry nesting area. Introduce the tom you want to breed (if you do) and remove afterward. Once hen goes broody the boys will just hang out for the summer.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by