Releasing a rehabilitated guinea into the flock safely?.

Cindy A.

Hatching
Dec 16, 2017
New Jersey
I purchased 7 approx 4 month old birds together, one was injured so I needed to separate this bird and give meds. for approx. 6 weeks. Now the flock seems very aggressive towards her when I have them all in a confined area and I am afraid to leave the bird with them unattended. The Guinea (named Pearl) that was isolated has never run free outside with them since I got them all. The gang sleeps together minus Pearl & I have isolated her with one other who gets along with her at night. I let them all have monitored time together and it doesn't last long before I am separating them for fear of injury. Am I being dramatic and overprotective? Does what I'm doing letting them have time together just take time or will it work itself out on it's own and i shouldn't interfere? The rehabilitated one is in a crate often with another Guinea now and the flock sits on top of the crate or runs around it, sometimes aggressively pecking through the cage at only Pearl. Also, I now think Pearl is a male. They seem to all want to be around each other if only through the crate.

Hi Cindy and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya
I can't speak to Guineas but with chickens and turkeys you have to let them work it out. I monitor to make sure there's no blood drawn, but other than that. I don't get involved.

I purchased 7 approx 4 month old birds together, one was injured so I needed to separate this bird and give meds. for approx. 6 weeks. Now the flock seems very aggressive towards her when I have them all in a confined area and I am afraid to leave the bird with them unattended. The Guinea (named Pearl) that was isolated has never run free outside with them since I got them all. The gang sleeps together minus Pearl & I have isolated her with one other who gets along with her at night. I let them all have monitored time together and it doesn't last long before I am separating them for fear of injury. Am I being dramatic and overprotective? Does what I'm doing letting them have time together just take time or will it work itself out on it's own and i shouldn't interfere? The rehabilitated one is in a crate often with another Guinea now and the flock sits on top of the crate or runs around it, sometimes aggressively pecking through the cage at only Pearl. Also, I now think Pearl is a male. They seem to all want to be around each other if only through the crate.
Guineas can be very unforgiving when trying to introduce a new flock member (or a previously isolated flock member) into the flock. The younger the flock is, the easier it is to do the introduction.

You are fortunate that you have at least one flock member that accepts the one that is being reintroduced. The best way is to set up an adjacent pen where all the guineas can be seen by each other and can somewhat interact through the wires of the pen. Leave the accepting guinea in the pen with her. After about a week the other guineas should have stopped trying to attack her through the wire. At that time, do a supervised introduction. Do not be surprised if she is ostracized by the others for quite an extended period.

Be sure to provide places for her to hide such as a wide board leaned against a wall so that she can escape any possible attacks.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom