Releasing Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mahsmaj, Jul 31, 2008.

1. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Is it ok to release chickens in the wild???
    Will they live on their own if released???

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Some do manage to survive but most get eaten by predators. I wouldn't do it. It is cruel to take a domesticated animal and throw it to the wild.

3. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    They would only survive if they knew how to roost in trees at night. This is probably not the case. Pheasants raised in captivity don't learn this and are made short work of by predators after release.

4. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I wouldn't release a domestic chicken in the wild. The chicken has been domesticated for years and many have lost the instinct to survive, plus even if they did and managed to form a family it may play havoc with the native wild gamebird population. I would think a chicken by themselves would be easy pickings for predators if they were turned loose.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I agree with the others as well. It would be cruel and inhumane to give it the boot and expect it to just know what to do [​IMG]

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    They probably wouldn't make the first night

7. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

:mad: Wow, what ails people these days. For instance, Free Willy, the whale that was released into the wild is such a fairy tale. If domesticated they will never know how to find food, perhaps drought for a chicken, it will die of thirst, having been imprinted on, trust people who would catch it and torcher it.
    UGH- if you have it and want to release it- go out and shoot it, give it away, gosh, what makes us think we are doing a domesticated animal a favor?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :mad:

8. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    And if they do survive, they become a menance.

9. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I say irresponsible people do things like that to all kinds of life forms. I also would like to throw those people into a similar situation, place them far away from civilization, telling them to: "be free!" and WOW, what an eye opener that would be...how long would they survive? What thoughts would go thru their minds? What horrific circumstances would they survive or die by? How long would they endure and how soon would they give up? How ALONE would they feel? How sad...

10. Small Town Girl

Small Town Girl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Bexley, OH
    I agree with the others - your chickens wouldn't make it more than a few days on their own. If you can't keep them, I'd check to see if your local humane society will take them. If not, put an ad on Craig's List or Freecyle and I bet you'll have more takers than chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by