Releasing keets and chicks from nursery into "general population"...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kiaya611, Jul 5, 2007.

1. kiaya611

kiaya611 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Lebanon, OR
    I have 4 week old keets that are now with 5 and 7 week old chicks in a nursery in my chicken coop. They have been there for about a week now and I am wondering at what point can I release them into the "general population". My chickens are now 19 weeks old and I have 36 of them (34 hens and 2 roosters). I have 9 keets and 10 chicks. They are all doing very well and are a good size for their age. I just think that they would prefer to be able to be roaming instead of being cooped up in the nursery all of the time.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you,

Steven

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I say, let them out, and just keep an eye on them. There will be some pecking...just make sure it doesnt go too far. I just let my 6 weeks in the pen with my 17 weeks....there has been some pecking, but the smaller ones are so fast, the can get away if it gets out of hand, and they have a small place to get into that the larger ones cant fit in. good luck, hope it all goes well.

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with justusnak, Turn them loose and make sure they can hide form the big ones if it gets too rough, I threw a bunch of limbs and branches into pile for the little ones to use

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by