releasing my birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by leos-mama, Apr 2, 2011.

1. leos-mama

leos-mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Hope this is the right place to post - need a bit of advice for a very nervy mom to her first little flock. I want to let my girls have a little freedom whenever I can as they are currently in a run - the farmer said it was big enough to keep my girls pened in all the time but somehow I feel they need to wander!! They have all been with me 2 weeks now and are a mixed flock of 2 warrens, a silkie, a bantum leghorn and a pair of unknown little booted type bantums (they were sold as frizzles but I am not so sure). I have privot all around my garden and as such gaps in the bottom of my hedges. I have started going around the base today with Chicken wire but have quite a big perimeter around the garden! Are the girls likely to sneak through the hedge or will they stay close to home. I have done the bottom in the areas closest to the run but not further afield yet. Do I need to get it all done before I let them all out. Dont want to loose my little flock - I fear if they go over the back the old dears will put them in the pot!! Would not like to have to do it all as my cat likes to get through:D
    Thanks
    Lisa

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Your cat will figure out another way to get out. If there's an opening, the chickens will find it. Also, is it really necessary for the cat to roam like that, other than you might feel it "should?"

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    [​IMG] I'd do what you have to to keep the chickens on your property. Whatever happens to them if they find a way to sneak out you wouldn't have any control over! Cats are smart. They'll find a new way to get where they want to go.

4. leos-mama

leos-mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Thanks, Millie cat is very resourseful, so will continue with the chicken proofing. They will just have to be limited for a little longer!![​IMG]

5. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    In the beginning, they'll be scared and stay close to home, but as time goes on, they'll try to range further afield. That said, I would have it all safe before I let them have free range. You might consider using rat wire/hardware cloth: it's more durable against digging, etc. Chicken wire is just simply not that strong.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by